Honours and awards
Funding as Principal Investigator
2019 – Wellcome Trust ISSF Public Engagement Proof-of-Concept Award (£7.2k)
2018 – Wellcome Trust ISSF Fellowship (£75k)
2018 – Aspiring Fellows fellowship as a part of Future Leaders in Cancer Research (FLiCR) initiative (£5k)
Funding as Co-Investigator
2019 – Co-Investigator in GW4 Initiator Grant (GW4 NanoMedicine) (£14k)
2018 – Co-Investigator in a project awarded by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), Portugal (220k €)
Travel grants and awards
2018 – Best Poster Presentation at Chemical Tools for Systems Biology III (RSC Conference), London, U.K.
2018 – Best Oral presentation at EUROBIC14 (European Biological Inorganic Chemistry Conference), Birmingham, U.K.
2018 – RSC Travel grant (Chemistry-Biology interface division), to attend Gordon Research Conference in June 2018 (£400)
2017 – Selected Participant for the 67th annual Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting (5000€)
2014 – Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) fellowship in the Scope of COST Action CM1106 “Chemical Approaches to Targeting Drug Resistance in Cancer Stem Cells“ (1800€)
2013 – Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) fellowship in the Scope of COST Action CM0902 “Translocation of metallic ions across the biomembrane and their fate after uptake” (1800€)
2012 – Best Presenter, Pharmacy Day of Groningen Institute of Pharmacy, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, The Netherlands
2020 – Present – Postdoctoral Research Associate (British Lung Foundation), School of Medicine, Cardiff University
2018 – 2020 – Wellcome Trust ISSF Fellow, School of Medicine, Cardiff University
2016 – 2018 – Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Chemistry, Cardiff University
2012 – 2016 – PhD candidate, Groningen Institute of Pharmacy, Groningen University, The Netherlands
2011 – MSc in Structural and Functional Biochemistry (2-year program), Faculty of Science and Technology, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, Portugal
2009 – BSc in Biochemistry, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, Portugal
2019 – Supervision of one MSc lab-based project student from MSc in Cancer Biology and Therapeutics, whose work is currently submitted as part of a manuscript
2018 – Coursework assessor for Trends in Drug Discovery, from Taught MSc Medicinal Chemistry program
2017 & 2018 – Responsible for lab session and lab demonstrator for Chemical Biology and Introduction to Chemistry of Life (years
1&2 from Chemistry BSc)
2016 – 2018 – Daily supervision of two PhD students, supervision of one MChem lab-based project, two Chemistry BSc computational projects, one literature-review Taught MSc in Medicinal Chemistry. Additionally, I have supervised/trained several lab visitors (postgraduates).
2012 – 2016 – Supervision of four MSc research projects from MSc in Pharmacy, Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and TopMaster MSc in Medical and Pharmaceutical Drug Innovation, most resulting in published peer-reviewed publications. Additionally, I supervised two BSc in Pharmacy lab projects and supervised/trained several lab visitors (postgraduates).
2008/2009 – University-appointed tutoring of junior students in BSc Biochemistry
2007/2008 – Personal tutoring of individual pupils and groups (years 5-10) in Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Portuguese
– 14th European Biological Inorganic Chemistry Conference (EUROBIC14), 26-30 August 2018, Birmingham, U.K.
– South West structural Biology Consortium, June 2018, Exeter, U.K.
– South West structural Biology Consortium, July 2017, Cardiff, U.K.
– 1st International Symposium on Clinical and Experimental Metallodrugs in Medicine: Cancer Chemotherapy (CEMM), 12th-15th December 2015, Honolulu, USA
– 6th European Conference of Chemistry in Life Sciences, 10th-12th June 2015, Lisbon, Portugal
– Medicinal Chemistry and Bioanalysis (MCB) Symposium, 25th August 2014, Groningen, The Netherlands
– 15th edition of the FIGON Dutch Medicines Days, 30 September – 2 October 2013, Ede, The Netherlands
– Whole Action Meeting of the COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Action CM1105 “Functional metal complexes that bind to biomolecules”, 9-10th September 2013, Barcelona, Spain
– Molecular Machinery COST Training School, 15-18th May 2013, Lisbon, Portugal
– WG1+ WG5 Joint Meeting COST Action CM1105 “Functional metal complexes that bind to biomolecules”, 25-26 February 2013, Groningen, The Netherlands
Committees and reviewing
March 2021 – Present – Chair of the DCG NeRD committee: a committee from the Division of Cancer and Genetics, run by ECRs, dedicated to the training and development of fellow ECRs across the division
2020 – 2021 – DCG NeRD committee member
2017 – 2018- Athena Swan committee member, School of Chemistry, Cardiff University
– Reviewer for Chemical Communications (1), ChemMedChem (1), Chemistry – A European Journal (1), International Journal of Molecular Sciences (6), Amino Acids (1), Cells (3), Molecules (2), Inorganica Chimica Acta (1)
– Grant reviewer for the Slovak Research and Development Agency
Member of the Biochemical Society
Member of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS)
Ambassador and Member of the European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)
Member of the Portuguese Cancer Research Society (ASPIC)
Honours and awards